monday reviews is our latest blog series where we provide the facts about different project management tools—no BS and no hyperbole needed. Keep scrolling for our analysis and to learn more about all the project management tools out there. Enjoy!
Ever spent 20 minutes debating what to eat for lunch? We’ve been there. Making decisions, no matter how big or minor, can be really challenging.
But picking the right project management tool—a tool you’ll be using every single work day—is not only a tough decision, but an important one.
So, with 288 different project management tools and software (and counting) out there, how do you know you’re making the right choice for you?
Well, besides making an intuitive, customizable project management software, that’s what we’re here for!
So, first things first:
What is Asana?
Asana is a project management software that was founded in 2008 by former Facebook executives as an internal tool within the company to “help everyone track their work.”
Simply put, it is a project management tool, intended to improve team communication and simplify work management and collaboration.
Asana features: easy peasy, but only that
For those of us who are not developers or ultra-tech savvy (no shame), Asana has a clean and minimalistic interface.That being said, because of its simplicity, it’s less visual than a certain platform that happens to rhyme with funday, and offers less view options than other leading project management software.
To communicate with team members in real-time, you can attach a file or add a comment using @ mentions to alert tag and notify others, both on Asana and monday.com.
Given that Asana really focuses on being a collaboration tool, the company offers a feature called Workload, which prevents burnout by letting you set restrictions on team members’ workloads.
P.S.—we have a workload view too, and more team collaboration and project management features we’ll detail below.
Asana pricing: different plans for different needs (and budgets)
- Basic – for individuals or small teams of less than 15 people, Asana offers their most basic plan as a free version “forever,” and includes unlimited storage, access to its iOS and Android mobile apps, and unlimited projects.
- Premium – their premium plans cost $10.99 per user per month, and grants access to forms, dashboards, and inviting unlimited free guests.
- Business – Asana’s business plan sets teams back $24.99 per user per month, offering advanced integrations with Salesforce and Adobe, and customizing forms.
- Enterprise – there aren’t huge differences between the business and enterprise plans, except that the Enterprise plan includes user provisioning & de-provisioning (SCIM) and priority support. Similar to Wrike, the cost of Asana’s Enterprise plan is not listed on their website.
Finding the perfect project management app for you doesn’t have to be overly complicated or expensive!
Our recent blog post can help simplify the process, and monday.com plans start from as little as $8 per month and include 24/7 customer support, Kanban boards, hundreds of ready-to-use templates, and much more
Asana customer reviews: 4.3 / 5 on G2
On software comparison and reviews site G2, Asana garnered a 4.3 / 5 ranking from 6,836 reviews.
Asana customer support: can’t talk on the phone, just text
No one likes being put on hold for hours on end just to have the line disconnect, or hearing the repetitive music usually associated with being on hold. So, Asana does not offer support by phone.
Asana does offer an email and chat support option, with a caveat—only customers who subscribe to its Premium, Business, or Enterprise accounts have access.
Asana provides email support, FAQs, a knowledge base, and videos for troubleshooting.
Here at monday.com, we take our customer support VERY seriously, which is we guarantee our customers 24/7 support, every single day of the year!
So if you’ve read up to here and think that you need an Asana alternative, then say no more and look no further!
Enter monday.com Work OS: the ultimate Asana alternative for 2021
When choosing a platform to help in managing projects, you probably want to make sure it can help you keep track of due dates, monitor multiple projects at once, create task lists, and grow along with your team.
monday.com does ALL of that, and much more as well!
Here are some of the features that we think set monday.com apart from other project planning tools out there:
1. Setup in minutes – monday.com is a Work OS that allows you to create and customize whatever tools you need to run all your projects and collaborate with your entire team in real-time.
We offer plenty of different views including timelines, Gantt charts, and more, and make the platform super easy to use so you can get started in minutes.
2. Automate the mundane tasks – using monday.com’s custom automation builder, you can easily create customizable workflows to automate reminders, mundane tasks, and even send out notifications and emails on your behalf.
3. Integrate with the tools you already use (and love) – you can seamlessly integrate monday.com with your favorite tools to finally have all your work and data in one place.
With monday.com, you can set up integrations in just a few clicks and choose from a variety of CRM, marketing, and software development integrations, including Gmail, Outlook, Excel, and dozens of others!
4. Always here for you, whenever wherever – in addition to our 24/7 customer support, monday.com also offers a self-serve knowledge base and webinar that help users get the most out of our platform at any time.
Still need more convincing?
Don’t just take our word for it: monday.com has a rating of 4.6 /5 on G2 from more than 1,200 users. In fact, more than 7,000 people ranked monday.com 4.6/5 or above on review sites, including G2, Capterra, Trustpilot, TrustRadius, and GetApp.
Try it out for yourself, the first two weeks are on us!
Asana vs. monday.com: what are the differences?
With monday.com, you have access to a multitude of features that simplify project management from start to finish, not all of which are offered by Asana.
Monday.com offers the following :
- More features and views options than Asana offers
- 24/7 customer support with an average response time of less than 60 minutes
- Hundreds of ready-made templates
- 8 different visual workflows
- The ability to create, customize, and share forms with your team members and clients
- 40+ high-quality integrations
- And much, much more!
That being said, Asana’s interface is really easy to use, but less visually appealing and customizable than monday.com’s.
2. What is a Work OS?
In case you’re wondering, a work operating system (Work OS) is a cloud-based software platform where teams build custom workflow apps. You can create that amazing tool you’ve always dreamed of for your work, whatever that may be or however that may look like.
As a Work OS, monday.com offers the following capabilities:
- Data visualization and analytics—all users with access to monday.com and with permissions to access a specific data source can create reports and visualizations within the platform. Our dashboards and reports can become a single source of information for data-driven decision-making, every time.
- Permissions and governance—monday.com includes permission-setting features over who can view, update, and edit data. Teams can work in their own way while staying aligned with their organizational standards.
- Low-code/no-code app creation—using our new monday apps marketplace, users, partners, and builders have the freedom to quickly build apps on top of the monday.com platform!
Looking for more information on what exactly a Work OS is, or what it can do for you? We got you covered with the full breakdown of a Work OS, check it out!
3. How does monday.com pricing work?
Our pricing operates on a “price-per-seat” model. How much you pay will depend on how many seats you need, what features you’re looking for, and whether you want to pay annually or monthly.
Our most budget-friendly option is our Basic subscription, designed for solopreneurs and smaller businesses. Basic users get access to the following features:
- The ability to create and share customizable forms
- Communication with context and in real-time
- Dashboards (1 board per dashboard)
- Unlimited free viewers
- iOS and Android apps
After that comes our most popular plan, Standard. If you have a small-medium-sized team, this one’s waiting for you. Along with every feature our Basic plan includes, Standard also includes:
- Timeline and calendar views
- Advanced search functionality
- Automations (250 actions per month)
- Integrations (250 actions per month)
- Up to three boards per dashboard
- The ability to share boards with guests
If your business has more complex operations you need to streamline, then take a look at our Pro plan. Here’s what you get inside Pro (on top of everything in Basic and Standard, of course):
- Private boards
- Chart view
- Time tracking
- A formula column
- Automations (25,000 actions per month)
- Integrations (25,000 actions per month)
- Up to 10 boards per dashboard
Like Asana, monday.com has an Enterprise plan available for large organizations in need of enterprise-grade project management solutions and security. Enterprise has every feature from the other plans, plus:
- Enterprise-grade security & governance
- More automations and integrations
- Advanced analytics and reporting
- Multi-level permissions
- Our tailored onboarding process
- Up to 50 boards per dashboard
- Priority support
Not sure which one of our pricing plans is right for you? Check out our pricing page to play around with the different pricing options and find the perfect option to fit your team and budget.
And don’t worry, every plan comes with a 14-day free trial so you can try it out (and maybe even fall in love) before you buy it.
So, what are you waiting for?