Smartsheet and Asana are both project management software as a service (SaaS) solutions that often fall into task management, productivity software, and team collaborations tool categories.
This post will explore how each product is different while touching on their similarities.
What is Smartsheet?
Smartsheet was released in 2006 in San Francisco, CA. According to its about page, Smartsheet is “the enterprise platform for dynamic work that aligns people and technology.”
Smartsheet is a project management platform and employs a self-proclaimed “tabular user interface” with built-in collaboration tools. Its look and feel are most similar to Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
What is Asana?
Asana was launched in 2008 in San Francisco, CA by a Facebook co-founder (and ex-Google employee) and a former Facebook engineer.
Asana was built to make it easier for teams to organize and track their day-to-day work and long-term projects. The software helps empower teams to “do great things together,” track their work, and produce great results.
Who uses Smartsheet?
The Smartsheet audience tends to cater a bit more to a mid-market clientele. According to its website, Smartsheet serves over 83,000 brands.
Related: Smartsheet project management
Who uses Asana?
Asana is used by small businesses as well as large enterprises. According to its website, Asana has a customer base of 80,000+.
Related: Asana work management
Smartsheet vs. Asana: pricing and integrations
While there are many ways to compare software solutions, pricing, and integrations are often the most straightforward.
Here is how Smartsheet and Asana (and monday.com!) stack up when looking at these two variables:
- Offers 4 tiers — Basic, Premium, Business, and Enterprise
- Basic: “For individuals or teams just getting started with project management” the basic plan is available for teams of up to 15 — FREE!
- Premium: “For teams that need to create project plans with confidence” — $10.99/user/month (billed annually)
- Business: “For teams and companies that need to manage work across initiatives” — $24.99/user/month (billed annually)
- Enterprise: “For teams and companies that need to manage work across initiatives” — Pricing here = “Let’s talk” (sales/marketing-speak for, “we have pricing tiers that can be flexible but we don’t want to publish them!”)
- Offers both “Standard” and “Enterprise/Premier” pricing tiers
- Standard, Individual: $14/month, billed annually
- Standard, Business: $25/user/month, billed annually (minimum 3 licenses)
- Enterprise & Premier: pricing falls under the “contact us” category
As you move up the Smartsheet tiers, the feature set grows.
For comparison, monday.com pricing:
- Offers 4 tiers — Basic, Standard, Pro, and Enterprise
- Basic: “For a small team to execute basic work smoothly” — $8/seat/month (billed annually)
- Standard: “For a single team to visualize, run, track, and improve their work with confidence” — $10/seat/month (billed annually)
- Pro: “For teams to streamline and control complex workflows and operations ” — $16/seat/month (billed annually)
- Enterprise: “For organizations seeking enterprise-grade project and workflow management” — customized pricing
Note: integrations are combining (or connecting) software “parts” into one system to form an “integrated system.”
The Smartsheet marketplace lists over 300 “connectors and integrations,” sortable by Type (template, applications, etc), Category (add-on, integrator/connection, etc), and Level (basic or premium).
Most of the Smartsheet integrations are “template” or “template set.”
Microsoft Teams, Gmail, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Cloud, Jira, Tableau, and Slack are a few of the native app integrations Asana lists on its website.
Asana provides a searchable/sortable database of integrations in the following categories: New, Made By Asana, Communication, Connectors, Development, Importers, File Sharing, Google, Reporting, Time Tracking, Forms, and Microsoft
With scores, if not hundreds, of review sites on the Internet, it’s hard to know where to start. We looked at two of the more popular software ranking and comparison sites, G2 and TrustRadius.
Here is how they compared:
G2 Asana reviews and Smartsheet reviews
G2 is “the world’s largest tech marketplace where businesses can discover, review, and manage the technology they need to reach their potential.”
Star Rating: Asana has a 4.5/5.0 star rating with 6,873 reviews. Smartsheet has a 4.0/5.0 star rating with 2,136 reviews. For comparison purposes, monday.com has a 4.5/5.0 star rating with 1,242 reviews.
TrustRadius Asana reviews and Smartsheet reviews
TrustRadius is “the most trusted review site for business technology. Optimized for content quality and data integrity,” TrustRadius helps “buyers make better product decisions based on unbiased and insightful reviews.” It also helps “vendors harness and scale the authentic voice of their customers.”
Star Rating: Asana has a 4.0/5.0 star rating from 1,215 reviews. Smartsheet has a 4.5/5.0 star rating from 382 reviews. For comparison purposes, monday.com has a 4.5/5.0 star rating from 195 reviews.
monday.com comes out on top on a side-by-side-by-side comparison between the three solutions — specifically, feature ratings:
The ultimate Smartsheet and Asana alternative: monday.com
There are several other platforms that are most often compared to Asana and Smartsheet.
But of course, we hold quite a strong preference towards our own solution, monday.com.
Here is our direct comparison to Smartsheet.
monday.com’s Work OS includes features and functionality that can be found in both Smartsheet and Asana. PLUS:
monday.com empowers teams to do more than day-to-day task management. Our platform enables users to collaborate on multiple projects while keeping every team member focused on their individual and overall team goals.
Our feature set includes boards, Gantt charts, automated workflows, lists, timelines, dashboards, integrated communication tools, thousands of integrations, and more.
Start with one of 200+ templates or drag and drop 30+ column types to customize the workflow of your dreams. Groups, items, sub-items, and updates are synced in real-time, keeping everything within the context of your actual project, workflow, process, or anything else.
And the winner is …
Technically, there is no winner when comparing the Smartsheet and Asana offerings.
Both project management solutions score relatively high on features and functionality (though not as high as monday.com!) and have similar pricing and integration options.
If you are interested in more of a spreadsheet option, Smartsheet may be your best choice. If organizing and tracking your team’s day-to-day work and long-term projects, Asana may be for you.
However, if you are looking for a complete Work OS, monday.com will likely tick off most boxes for you.
Here are some of the features that set monday.com apart from other project management tools out there:
1. Setup in minutes – monday.com is a Work OS that allows you to create and customize your PERFECT project management tool. That’s why we offer a visual, user-friendly, and intuitive interface. We offer plenty of different views including timelines, Gantt charts, and more, and make the platform super easy to use so you can get started NOW.
2. Automate mundane tasks – Using monday.com’s custom automation builder, users can create complex workflows to automate reminders, and mundane tasks, and even send out notifications and emails on your behalf.
3. Always here for you, whenever wherever – In addition to our supper accessible 24/7 customer support, monday.com also offers a self-serve knowledge base and webinar that help users get the most out of our platform at any time.
Still need more convincing? Don’t just take our word for it: more than 7,000 people ranked monday.com 4.6/5 or above on review sites, including G2, Capterra, Trustpilot, TrustRadius, and GetApp.
Try it out for yourself, the first two weeks are on us!
Related articles: Asana vs. monday.com, Clickup vs. Asana, Asana vs. Jira, Asana vs. Wrike, Asana vs. Airtable, Asana vs. Trello, Smartsheet vs. Asana, Smartsheet vs. Trello, Smartsheet alternatives, Smartsheet vs. Airtable, monday.com alternatives