Given that a good project management tool will likely become your most used tool of all, choosing the right one is an important decision!
So, with 289 tools out there, how do you know which one you should pick?
In this blog, we’ll cover ClickUp and Asana, as well as another alternative we love and use, called monday.com (shocker!)
What is ClickUp?
Founded in March of 2017, ClickUp is a relative newcomer in the project management software space.
What is Asana?
Asana was founded by former Facebook executives in 2008 as an internal tool within the company to “help everyone track their work.”
Basically, it is also a project management tool, with a clear focus on improving team communication and simplifying collaboration.
ClickUp vs. Asana: how to choose:
Since no team or manager has identical needs, we came up with a list of some useful questions to help you make this important decision:
- How big is my team?
- How many team members will use this tool?
- How often will I need support, and what kind of customer service?
- How important is improving team collaboration?
- What kinds of integrations do I plan on using?
- How important are time-tracking capabilities?
Depending on how you answered the questions above, our in-depth analysis below should help you figure out which of Asana or ClickUp (or perhaps a different option, one that rhymes with FUNDAY) is the best fit for your entire team’s needs.
ClickUp offers four pricing tiers — Free Forever, Unlimited, Business, and Enterprise
- Free Forever: you only get 5 workspaces, and can only store 100MB worth of docs, so you get what you pay (or don’t) for.
- Unlimited: mind maps and dashboard widgets are limited in the Unlimited plan (ironically), as are view options. — $9/member/month if you pay monthly.
- Business: maximum of 10,000 automations per month. — $19/member/month if you pay monthly.
- Enterprise: More views and security — “contact sales for price quote”
- Basic—for teams of less than 15 people. Asana offers a basic free version for an indefinite amount of time, and includes unlimited storage, access to its mobile apps, and unlimited projects.
- Premium—with a cost of $10.99 per user per month, Asana’s Premium plan includes access to forms, dashboards, and inviting an unlimited amount of guests for free.
- Business—setting customers back $24.99 per user per month, their Business plan grants access to advanced integrations, and creating, customizing, and sharing forms.
- Enterprise—Asana does not list a cost for this plan on their website. However, there aren’t astronomical differences between Asana’s business and enterprise plans, besides the fact that the Enterprise plan includes User provisioning & de-provisioning (SCIM) and priority support.
For comparison, monday.com pricing:
- Offers four tiers — Basic, Standard, Pro, and Enterprise
- Basic: “For a small team to execute basic work smoothly” — $8/seat/month (billed annually)
- Standard: “For a single team to visualize, run, track, and improve their work with confidence” — $10/seat/month (billed annually)
- Pro: “For teams to streamline and control complex workflows and operations ” — $16/seat/month (billed annually)
- Enterprise: “For organizations seeking enterprise-grade project and workflow management” — customized pricing
ClickUp vs. Asana: reviews edition
In all four of the “Ease of” categories, monday.com outranks both ClickUp and Asana on review comparison site G2.
TrustRadius is “the most trusted review site for business technology. Optimized for content quality and data integrity,” TrustRadius helps “buyers make better product decisions based on unbiased and insightful reviews.” It also helps “vendors harness and scale the authentic voice of their customers.”
Star Rating + “Score”: Asana has a 4.0/5.0 star rating with 1,217 reviews. ClickUp has a 4.5/5.0 star rating with 64 reviews. For comparison purposes, monday.com has a 4.5/5.0 star rating with 199 reviews.
ClickUp support: no response time guarantee
ClickUp’s website lacks details about the types of customer support they offer.
That being said, they offer differing levels of support for different plans, so the more you pay up, the better customer support you’ll get.
Also, ClickUp does not offer a response time guarantee.
Asana customer support: don’t call, text only
Asana doesn’t offer any customer support by phone at all.
That being said, Asana does offer an email and chat support option, with a caveat—only customers who subscribe to its Premium, Business, or Enterprise accounts.
Here at monday.com, we make customer support a top priority, which is why we guarantee our customers 24/7 support, every single day of the year, regardless of your plan!
We also offer different types of support, including the ability to ask our incredible team questions over the phone, because we want you to feel as comfortable and pampered as possible!
So, what is a good ClickUp and Asana alternative?
Asana is a project management software solution that has been around for a while (~12 years), while ClickUp is relatively new in the space (~3 years). Both are viable options, but certainly not the only choice.
monday.com was founded in 2012, and is, to no one’s surprise, the tool we use here at monday.com for all our task management and collaboration needs!
What is monday.com?
monday.com is a Work Operating System (Work OS). Unlike some other basic project management tools, monday.com helps teams manage tasks and projects through every phase—from structuring workflows to resource management, and from time tracking to collaborating with distributed stakeholders and managing customer data.
monday.com Work OS is the visual platform that manages everything: plan projects, assign tasks, create your own tools, and track all of your team’s work in one place.
You choose the view you prefer:
monday.com views transform your data so you can see it the way you want to — from colorful and elaborate to basic and muted.
Other features include:
- 40+ integrations
- Hundreds of pre-built templates
- Create and customize sharable forms
- An easy-to-use, visual interface
- Custom workflow automation: automate mundane tasks, notifications, and emails
Optimize your workflow with the customizable choice for you
Here are just a handful of the features that set monday.com apart from other project management tools out there:
1. Setup in minutes – create and customize your perfect project management tool instantly. That’s why we offer a visual, user-friendly, and intuitive interface. We offer lots of different views including timelines, Gantt charts, and more, and make the platform super easy to use so you can get started NOW.
2. Automate repetitive tasks – using monday.com’s custom automation recipe builder, you can create complex workflows to automate reminders, mundane tasks, and even send out notifications and emails on your behalf. Why waste any more time on things your PM tool can do for you?
3. Integrate with the tools you use and love – You can seamlessly integrate monday.com with your favorite tools to finally have all your work and data in one place! With monday, you can set up endless integrations in just a few clicks and choose from a variety of CRM, marketing, and software development integrations.
4. Always here for you, whenever wherever – In addition to our supper accessible 24/7 customer support, monday.com also offers a self-serve knowledge base and webinar that can help you get the absolute most out of our platform at any time.
Still need more convincing?
Test out monday.com for yourself, no credit card required!