Whether you’re working with a small team or across multiple projects, task management becomes much easier with a project management tool. Considering that 76% of companies achieve their original goals when implementing project management systems, this shouldn’t seem surprising.
Wrike is one such project management software that does its job fairly well, but there’s also monday.com to consider. One is project management software, while the other is a comprehensive Work OS. In this article, we’ll be comparing both brands side-by-side to help you make an educated decision on which solution is best for your company.
monday.com vs. Wrike at a glance
There’s a reason why 61% of companies who use project management software complete projects on time versus 41% who don’t use it. It’s because they provide solid benefits. For instance, good software will not only have awesome task management features, but can also strengthen team collaboration and team management.
Now both monday.com and Wrike offer the following essential features:
- Task management: the ability to manage recurring tasks and task dependencies
- Data visualization: different project boards and views for tracking real-time project progress and updates
- Collaboration software: to help teams share files, documents, reports, and updates instantly
- Integration: so that your software syncs well across your team’s favorite tools and apps
So, on the surface, both are amazing. However, there’s one key difference.
While Wrike is a project and task management tool, a Work OS like monday.com can give you a handle on (almost) all aspects of work management, including everyday workflow and processes.
In other words, monday.com is the whole deal.
What’s the difference between a Work OS and a project management tool?
In short, a project management tool is great at handling the specific requirements of a project. So, everything from planning, coordinating, and delivering tasks within the boundaries of a project. On the other hand, a Work OS is not limited to project management, and its functionality expands way beyond.
It can be used like an open platform to create the tools, apps, automations, and integrations your team needs — or just wants — to support the unique way they work. A Work OS lets you customize a solution that uniquely fits your team and organization, no matter its size. A Work OS helps companies handle the big picture — to plan, organize and track daily workflows, processes, and everything in between.
A Work OS also offers more flexibility. And since its scope extends beyond project management, it can be used by cross-functional teams across the organization. On the other hand, project management software is usually the domain of only the project manager, and some subject matter experts or key stakeholders.
Now that we’ve clarified the overall platform differences, let’s dive into the specific features of monday.com vs. Wrike.
What does Wrike offer?
Wrike is a project management software that allows you to prioritize and visualize all your projects and tasks in one place. When combined with integrated time tracking, you always have a real-time overview of your projects and can keep your team on track without time-intensive status meetings.
Key features include:
- Dashboards to view and manage individual tasks
- Data analysis and real-time reporting via their interactive reporting wizard
- Project schedule tracking via Gantt chart
- Custom workflows to keep everybody on the same page
- Integration with popular tools and apps
Wrike’s pricing plans
Wrike has 4 main pricing plans:
- The Free plan is for small teams with up to 5 users, and is pretty restricted (no Gantt charts or customization options.)
- The Professional plan is $9.80/user per month, and is available from 5 to 200 users. You get Gantt charts now, but still don’t have access to custom fields and workflows.
- The Business plan costs $24.80/user per month, and is also for 5 to 200 users. This is the plan you’ll need if you want customization options, report templates, time tracking, and more.
- The Enterprise plan pricing will be based on your requirements, so you’ll need to contact the team for the price. It offers greater security measures and more storage space than the other options.
Keep in mind that there are several add-on features for creatives, marketing teams, service delivery teams, and others, that you could include in your plan for an extra cost.
What does monday.com offer?
monday.com is a simple and flexible Work OS that’s designed to make your workload lighter. It’s an all-in-one work management platform that has a wide range of applications, beyond simply managing projects.
So you can use monday.com up as a project management software, collaboration tool, task management app, recruitment tracker, and sales CRM at the same time. Why waste time and energy toggling between different tools and apps when monday.com can take care of every business need within the same platform?
To start with, our user interface is an absolute delight to get new teams onboarded and running in no time at all. And you get full access to our hundreds of handy, fully-customizable templates even with the lowest price plan.
But we’re getting ahead of ourselves here.
To keep things simple, let’s take a look at our most exciting features:
- Intuitive drag-and-drop functionality that allows you to make a customizable workflow, and manage your team with ease.
- Beautifully visual dashboards that help you plan and track project progress the way you choose to, using Kanban board, Gantt charts, calendar, timeline, or map views.
- Collaboration becomes a breeze, allowing you to store documents and files in one place, share updates easily, and improve overall teamwork.
- Our apps marketing place allows you to pick widgets, integrations, and automations that allow for a greater degree of personalization for your team.
- Our 24/7 customer support team is available anytime to help along the way.
What are monday.com’s pricing plans?
monday.com has a simple, straightforward pricing structure, with no add-on costs for additional features. Everything’s included for what you pay. There are different plans depending on the features you need, the size of your team, and whether you prefer to pay monthly or annually.
If you need help figuring out the pricing for your business, why not take a look at our pricing page for guidance?
Which is right for your business?
Which platform is right for you basically boils down to your unique needs and preferences, the size of your team, and your budget.
But here’s our take on it.
While Wrike does have a limited collection of templates to get you started, these are tailored mostly to project management, marketing, and Agile teams. And you don’t get access to them with the lower-end plans.
monday.com has a treasure trove of fully customizable templates — 200+, in fact — for every kind of business, industry, or team, including real estate, education, construction, HR, and sales. And even our basic plan comes with complete access to them.
A feature that commonly comes up in every software review of both brands is user design.
While Wrike’s interface is functional, it’s not designed for flexibility.
While individual preferences may vary, the general consensus is that monday.com’s clean and bright interface, and drag-and-drop functionality make it a super intuitive system to get started, and run with.
ReviewsOn G2 — a reputable business software review site — Wrike has a 4.2/5 star rating with 1,396 reviews compared to monday.com’s rating of 4.6/5 stars, with 1,642 reviews.
Reviewers found monday.com easier to set up and use, and many found it fit the needs of their business better than Wrike.
End the monday.com vs. Wrike debate
Wrike is a good option when it comes to project management software, although Wrike’s focus is primarily on project management. If you need an application that covers more bases within the same price range, monday.com has a huge advantage in terms of capabilities and features.
When you’re deciding whether to use Wrike or monday.com, ask yourself these questions. Do you want a system that can be customized for your unique needs? Do you want software that takes care of multiple aspects of your business within one platform, not just project management?
If you’ve answered yes to either of the above, then monday.com is the option for you. You can get started with a 14-day free trial today.