Handling multiple tasks at a time can be the death of productivity (at least for me).
And maybe that’s not a secret, but is worth addressing — especially if you have as many things on your plate as I do.
So how do you prioritize tasks to increase productivity and reduce wasted time?
The simplest answer is to have clear goals.
The second answer is to use the right tool.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of the top task management tools to tackle any kind of project. We’ll cover each tool’s main benefits, features, and pricing structures so you can find the best one and start working more productively like yesterday.
You game? Let’s get rolling.
To be clear, we aren’t a “tool” but we do play one on TV.
monday.com is an intuitive Work OS that helps you get work done more efficiently. In fact, more than 100,000 teams — including Adobe, Uber, and Costco — trust us to manage their team’s tasks and projects.
You can plan, organize, and manage small and complex projects across one or multiple teams in any industry.
Of course we also provide you with powerful task management functionalities, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Let’s talk about some of our features…
- Task management: track individual tasks, team tasks, and measure progress on single or multiple projects
- Task dependencies: set logical relationships between tasks to ensure top project value delivery
- Intuitive interface: so simple that everyone in your team can use it without training, but so powerful to tackle any kind of project
- Free templates: choose between hundreds of free templates you can easily plug and play
- Dashboard customization: customize your workflow and dashboards with visuals and drag-and-drop columns
- Visual workflow: get eight different data visualizations, including Kanban, Gantt chart, and calendar view
- Process automation: save tons of time through process automation in seconds
- Collaboration: synchronize work, share documents and assign tasks to your team members
- Reporting: customize reporting dashboards to interpret data and gain insights with ease
- Enterprise-grade security: We’re ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certified, which is the most rigorous global security standard for Information Security Management Systems (ISMS)
What about our prices?
monday.com offers four paid plans: basic, standard, pro, and enterprise. Pricing starts at $10 per month (per seat = user).
As you may know, Kanban boards are great to keep your workflow organized in a simple yet effective way, which is why Trello (which is built around Kanban) is as popular as it is.
Trello is a simple, Kanban-based collaboration tool and task management solution suitable for in-house projects such as marketing campaigns and HR management.
If we had to describe Trello in 2 words, we’d use “Simple” and “Powerful.”
Let’s check out some of its features…
- Kanban view: helps you create checklists and organize tasks through Kanban boards
- Collaboration: helps you collaborate with your team through tagging, attachments, and comments
- Calendars: enables you to visualize your workflow in a calendar view
- Process automation: automates manual processes and tasks to save time
- Voting: collect input from your team by enabling voting on cards
And Trello’s pricing structure?
Trello offers 1 free plan and 2 paid ones: business class and enterprise. Pricing starts at $12.50 per month (per user).
Have you ever heard about the Zeigarnik Effect?
It states that we tend to remember pending tasks better than tasks we’ve already completed.
This is why to-do lists are so effective.
Now, if you’d like to get with the times and shift away from pen and paper checklists and start using software to keep on track of your work, then Todoist might be what you’re looking for.
Todoist is a simple task management app that helps you organize your daily work with visuals and checklists.
Here’s what it offers…
- To-do lists: help you keep yourself organized, track individual tasks, and prioritize work through interactive to-do lists
- Visual workflow: offers a clear overview of your pending tasks through visual dashboards
- Prioritization: enables you to prioritize tasks and projects so you always know what you should be working on
- Goal-setting: helps you set daily and weekly goals and visualize when you’re most productive
- Intuitive user interface: organizes your work with a simple user interface that anyone can understand
How much does Todoist cost?
Todoist offers 1 free plan and 2 paid ones: premium and business. Pricing starts at $4 per month.
It’s not a secret that humans love visuals.
And task management tool AYOA takes advantage of our penchant for shapes fact by merging mind mapping with a smart task management system.
This helps professionals across multiple industries manage their workflow in a more “natural” way.
Here’s what AYOA offers…
- Visual task management: plan, organize and execute new ideas with a blend of task mapping and collaboration features
- Built-in Zoom integration: organize meetings with clients and team members without leaving the app
- Pie-charts: organize and interpret your data with easy-to-understand pie-charts
- Scheduling: understand what needs to be done (and when)
- Dashboards: see an overview of your projects with as much or as little depth as you need
And here’s how much AYOA costs
AYOA offers 1 free plan and 2 paid ones: pro and ultimate. Pricing starts at $10 per month (per user).
Moving from traditional spreadsheets to project management software can be frightening for many people.
Smartsheet makes the transition a bit simpler by providing you with a spreadsheet-like platform that combines visuals with basic functions like scheduling and task tracking.
Now, despite being a rather simple platform, it offers advanced project management features like workflow automation, reporting dashboards, and collaboration tools.
Let’s cover Smartsheet’s features more in-depth
- Process automation: automate recurring tasks and processes through alerts, approvals and updates
- Forms: helps you create forms that automatically map the columns in your sheets
- Visual workflow: visualize your workflow and tasks through Gantt chart, kanban and calendar views
- Integrations: helps you integrate 3rd party platforms with ease
- Formulas: helps you make calculations across multiple sheets
- Filters: helps you filter information by action type, person, date range, and more
And their pricing structure?
Smartsheet offers 4 paid plans: individual, business, enterprise, and premier. Pricing starts at $14 per month.
Do you really need a task management tool?
There’s no shortage of task management software out there. We’ve (literally) just scratched the surface with our chosen 5.
But with so many tools available, the crucial question is:
Do you really need one?Here’s the thing: task management tools are great to organize tasks and workflow, but they lack the essential features needed to fully manage a project.
As a project manager, you’re dealing with more than just tasks: project scope, budgets, reporting, resource management, and team collaboration. All of these elements are outside the task management scope.
So, to pick the right software, the first step is to figure out what you need. Do you want to manage tasks only? If so, a task management tool might cut it.
But if you’re looking to tackle single or multiple projects with efficiency, you need something a bit more sophisticated.
In that case, monday.com can help.
monday.com can provide you with an all-in-one solution that helps you manage not only tasks, but projects as a whole. If you’d like to know more about how monday.com works, make sure to visit our product overview page.
If you want to get the most out of your time — and project management efforts — then you need to invest in powerful software. A complete tool like monday.com can help you reduce waste while improving performance across your entire organization.
If you think monday.com could be a good option for your team, get started with our free team task management template.